Tenant Contents Insurance


You will need to be fully aware that you will be liable for any damage caused to the landlord’s building and contents. The relevant clause in the formal Tenancy agreement is as follows: –

As a condition of entering into this Tenancy Agreement the Tenant shall: 

  • Obtain and maintain a policy of Insurance to provide a minimum of £2,500 of cover for accidental damage to the landlord’s contents, furniture, fixtures and fittings at the property, as described in schedule A.
  • Upon request, provide the Agent with a copy of the Insurance Certificate


The Tenant should consider their need for insurance to cover their own personal possessions as the Landlord will not provide any such cover upon their behalf (i.e. the Landlord’s Insurance Policy will not cover the Tenant’s personal possessions).

BNR Property Services work in partnership with Rentguard Insurance who provide products to both landlords and tenants, including tenant’s liability policies. They will contact you once your referencing is complete to ensure you have the correct products.


The day your Tenancy starts

A meeting will be arranged with you to come to meet at the property. The Tenancy Agreement, Inventory and any other relevant paperwork must be signed by all tenants and all copies of the relevant certificates will be given to you.

We will ensure that the property is compliant with all the latest regulations and is in a clean and tidy condition. The garden (where relevant) will also be handed over to you in a neat and tidy condition.

It is The Tenant’s responsibility to read the meters and advise utility companies that you have moved in. All meters will be read before you move in and detailed on the inventory if we are managing the property.  We will provide the Utility Suppliers to the property. BNR Property Services cannot be held responsible for utility accounts and it is the tenant’s responsibility to ensure that all accounts are correctly set up and paid on time throughout the Tenancy and up until the Expiry date of the Tenancy.

We will advise suppliers of your new Tenancy, but it is up to the Tenant to contact Utility Suppliers to ensure the details are correct and set up payment to the Utility Suppliers.

The local council will be advised of your new Tenancy and move in date.  It is up to you the Tenant to contact the Council to ensure details are correct and set up payment.

Any failure by you to advise the gas and electric suppliers could result in unnecessary administration costs should we have to deal with this on your behalf.

The keys will be provided to you the Tenant at this stage and you will be given full contact details of who will be managing the property.


Once in the property

Your landlord wants you to enjoy living at their property but, whilst it will be your home, you MUST obtain written permission to make any alterations to the property such as redecoration, hanging mirrors, pictures etc. Failure to gain such permission may result in you losing part (or even all) of your deposit at the end of the tenancy.

If you receive any mail that is addressed ‘to the occupier’, please open this and advise us if there is anything we may need to know. If you receive anything else, please write ‘RTS’ on it and re-post.